Tours and accommodation at Kolštejn Castle

Go on an interesting and educational tour of Kolštejn Castle with a guide who will introduce you to the overall history of the castle.

Rezevace ProhlídkyRezervace Ubytování

Tours of Chateau Goldenstein

Tours of the castle take place Tuesday – Sunday at 10 am and 2 pm.

An approximately one-hour tour of the Kolštejn castle can be arranged for groups outside of the specified time by calling +420 732 237 296


adults CZK 90, children CZK 45, children under 10 free


Castle Kolštejn

Kolštejn (also Branná) is the ruins of a castle partially converted into a castle in Branná in the Šumperk district. It stands on a rocky cliff at an altitude of about 630 meters above the Branná river in the southeastern part of the village. The complex of ruins and castle has been protected as a cultural monument of the Czech Republic since 1958.


Gothic and Renaissance elements predominate in the castle, which depict the entire history of the castle and then the castle.

Construction progress

 The construction of the castle took place during the 14th century, then the castle was rebuilt into a castle in the 16th century.

In the past 700 years, 11 families have taken turns at the castle

Erb Wustehube

1300 – 1325

Erb Lucemburk

Jan Lucemburský
1338 – 1339

Erb z Lipe

z Lipé
1339 – 1401

erb z Valdstejna

1401 – 1437

Erb ze Zvole

ze Zvole
1437 – 1568

Erb z Kacova

z Kácova a ze Zvole
1437 – 1568

Erb ze Zerotina

ze Žerotína
1570 – 1581

erb Bruntalsti

Bruntálští z Vrbna
1581 – 1615

Erb Petrvaldsti

Petřvaldští z Petřvaldu
1615 – 1622

Erb Liechtenstein

1622 – 1941

11 Erb

Kolštejn Redivivus
et Floreans

History of the Castle

The oldest written mention of Kolštejn Castle, built near the trade route from Silesia to Olomouc, dates from 1325. With this deed, the owner of the castle, Jan Wustenhube, donated extensive land, the village and Kolštejn Castle in Kamenec, Silesia. the castle was probably built in the years 1308-1310 during the period of anarchy after the extinction of the Przemysl family for the purpose of robbery and looting, after which the town of Kolštejn was probably founded. It was from that time that there was a standing round tower behind the wall, the so-called bergfrit, whose fragments are still visible today. In the 1430s, the castle belonged to the Czech king Jan Luxemburg, who in 1339 donated it to Pertold of Lipa. At the end of the 14th century, the lords of Valdštejn acquired the estate and the castle, of which Hynek, also called Kolštejnský, became famous in the pre-Hussite and Hussite periods. Kolštejn Castle became his main residence and played an important role during the Hussite Wars. However, Hynek was killed in the service of Emperor Sigismund in September 1427, and then Kolštejn was acquired by Markvart of Zvola. It was under Lord Zvole that the castle area got its final shape. A new palace was built in the eastern part of the castle and a large fortified forecourt was built north of the castle core. The Gothic entrance tower, which was rebuilt in the Renaissance style in the 16th century, was probably also built at that time. After the death of Václav from Zvola, the estate passed to his sister Barbora, who left part of the estate to her husband Jan Černické from Kácov. He sold it in 1575 to Karl the Elder from Žerotín. In 1578, Karel had to leave the Kolštejn estate to his brother Jan Jr., probably due to large debts. from Žerotín. He died childless and his sister Bohunka sold the estate in 1581 to a related Bruntálský family from Vrbno. Under both Žerotíns, the area of the central castle was gradually rebuilt into a castle. Subsequently, the estate was purchased by Hynek the elder Bruntálský in Vrbna. In 1584, he issued church, school and marriage regulations for his subjects, with which he introduced the Lutheran faith on the Kolštejn estate. After his death in 1596, his son Jan the elder, who studied at Swiss Calvinist universities, took over the estate. After returning and taking over the estate, he was also active politically, in the years 1601-1603 he was the administrator of the highest hetmanship of the Margrave of Moravia. His two sons, Hynek Jr. and Bernart, jointly held Kolštejn in the years 1608 – 1614. They built a new church near the castle, the current parish church of Archangel Michael, but originally dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ.
Hynek Jr. Bruntálský from Vrbno was active in politics, in the years 1608 – 1614 he held the office of provincial governor. In February 1610, he proposed the relocation of the Land Boards to the castle in Bruntál and, in case of an aggravated situation, to Kolštejn, which testifies to the importance and strength of the Kolštejn castle and castle in its time. The lack of time, the political function and the high costs of building modifications, when the entrance “Black Tower” was completed, the so-called Upper Castle with unique sgraffito decoration and the interiors of the castle were modified, caused the manor to be heavily in debt. After Hynk’s death, the guardians sold his minor son the Kolštejn estate to Hanuš Petřvaldský from Petrvald for 130,000 guilders. The Lutheran Hanuš Petřvaldský from Petřvald took an active part in the estate uprising, was a member of the regional directorate, regional judge and commissioner for the sale of church estates. During his tenure, the so-called Lower Castle was completed, the entire building was unified in style by a uniform arcaded courtyard with a fountain with the symbolism of the apocalypse at the foot of the arcades and with mascarons of devils and witches. He also had a Mannerist portal built into the entrance prisoner’s yard with the insignia of the husband and wife and the head of a Turk impaled. After the battle on Bílá hora, the Kolštejn estate was confiscated. It was acquired as a fief of the Czech Crown by Charles of Liechtenstein. Thus, Kolštejn lost its residential and representative function and never became the residence of the nobility, because the Liechtensteins had many other residences. During the Thirty Years’ War, Kolštejn became an important stronghold of the imperial troops and the seat of a large garrison. A fortified forecourt was quickly completed in the direction of the town, where the buildings of the manor offices were concentrated behind the gate protected by a cylindrical tower on the sides of the courtyard. However, after the Thirty Years’ War, Kolštejn became only the economic seat of the estate’s administration, and with the progressive centralization of the Liechtenstein estates in the 18th and 19th centuries, the importance of the local lord’s office also declined. The village of Goldenstein (Kolštejn) acquired the castle after 1918. During the Second World War, this area was part of the northeastern Sudetenland. The castle housed a military garrison, a school, other spaces were unused. After 1945, the name of the village was changed to Branná. The premises of the castle served as medicine warehouses, a school and a gymnasium. Attempts to reconstruct the château were started in the first decade of the new millennium, but due to a lack of the necessary funds, the château remained empty. It was newly renovated and rebuilt only recently.

Architectural form of Chateau Goldenstein

The castle core is defined by a wall running along the edge of the rock cliff, the thickness of which reaches 3.3 meters on the side of the forecourt. Behind it stood a cylindrical tower with a diameter of 8.8 meters, which was converted into a lookout point in the nineteenth century. Only bricked-up window openings in the wall and a barrel-vaulted cellar survived from the palace, which probably stood along the southwestern wall. A fragment of the building with the preserved lower part of the portal was also preserved between the torso of the tower and the eastern wall. During the Renaissance and early Baroque modifications, the entire core was surrounded, but the building disappeared after a fire in 1770.
Stavební podoba

Reconstruction of Chateau Goldenstein

Historical photos

Před rekonstrukcí

Before reconstruction

Před rekonstrukcí 2

Important information

Tours of the castle take place daily at 10 am, 11:30 am, 2 pm and 4 pm. An approximately one-hour tour of Kolštejn Castle can be arranged for groups and outside the specified time by calling +420 732 177 826 Entrance fee:

adults CZK 90, children CZK 45, children under 10 free

Reception Tel. +420 732 237 296


Reception and restaurant phone: +420 732 237 296

Reservation email:,

tel. +420 736 613 568 Booking reservation

Booking tours

Individual tours do not need to be booked in advance

Rezervace prohlídky