The oldest written mention of the Kolštejn castle, built in the vicinity of the trade route from Silesia to Olomouc, dates back to 1325. By this charter, the owner of the castle Jan Wustenhube donated extensive land, which contains the village and the Kolštejn castle in Silesian city Kamenec. The castle was probably built in the years 1308-1310 during the period after the extinction of the Přemyslovci for the purpose of robbery, after that the town of Kolštejn probably appeared. From that time on, there was a standing round tower, the so-called bergfrit, whose fragments are still visible today.
In the 1930s the castle belonged to the Czech king Jan Lucemburský, who give castle in 1339 to Pertoldu from Lipá. At the end of the 14th century, the lords of Wallenstein acquired the castle. One of the members of Wallenstein clan was Hynek, also known as Kolštejn. Hynek gained famous in the pre-Hussite and Hussite period. Kolštejn Castle became Hynek headquarters and played an important role during the Hussite wars. In the service of Emperor Zikmund, however, Hynek was killed in September 1427 and then Kolštejn castle gained Markvart from Zvole.
During control by lords of Zvole, the castle complex gained the final appearance. A new palace was built in the eastern part of the castle and extensive fortifications were built north of the castle’s core. It was probably the Gothic entry tower that was rebuilt in the 16th century.
After the death of Václav of Zvole, castle inherited Barbora, the sister of Václav. Barbora left the part of the castle to her husband Jan Černický from Kácov. In 1575 Jan sold the part of the castle to Karel the elder from Žerotín. In 1578 Karel, probably for big debts, had to leave the Kolštejn castle to his brother Jan junior from Žerotín. Jan junior from Žerotín died childlessly and after that, his sister Bohunka sold castle in 1581 to Bruntalsky family from Vrbno. For both Žerotín lords, the center of the castle was gradually rebuilt into a chateau.
Subsequently, the castle was purchased by Hynek the elder Bruntálský in Vrbno. In 1584 Hynek issued a church, school, and marriage order for the Lutheran faith in the Kolštejn castle. After his death in 1596, his son, Jan elder took control over the castle. Jan elder studied on Swiss Calvinist universities. After returning from universities, he was politically active. In the years 1601 – 1603 he was the administrator of the highest authority of Moravian Margrave. His two sons, Hynek. and Bernart, together held Kolštejn castle in the years 1608 – 1614. Not far from the chateau were built a new church, the present parish church of Archangel Michael, initially dedicated to the rising of the rising of Christ.